Some highlights in Alaska’s history.
The underlined words will take you to much more information about Alaska.
- 1867 – October 18th the formal transfer of Alaska from Russia was held in Sitka
- 1913 – First act of the Territorial Legislature was giving women the right to vote (seven years before the 19th Amendment)
- 1939 – Phone link established between Alaska and Lower 48
- 1942 – Japanese bomb Dutch Harbor in June
- 1942 – The Alaska Highway dedicated in November
- 1947 – Statehood referendum passes & the first woman climbs Denali
- 1951 – First house-to-house delivery begins in Anchorage
- 1952 – Seward Highway opens & the first aircraft lands at the North Pole
- 1953 – Mount Spurr erupts, blanketing Anchorage in ash
- 1955 – Willow Ptarmigan is named Alaska’s official bird
- 1959 – Alaska becomes the 49th state!
- 1964 – The Good Friday earthquake strikes on March 27
- 1977 – Trans-Alaska pipeline completed from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez
- 1982 – First Permanent Fund dividends distributed
- 1989 – Exxon Valdez spills 11 million gallons of oil into Prince William Sound
- 1998 – The moose is adopted as Alaska’s official state land mammal
- 2002 – A record-setting snowfall of 28.6 inches hits Anchorage on St. Patrick’s Day
- 2007 – Lance Mackey becomes the first musher to win the Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race and the Iditarod Trail Dog Race in the same year